Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mk82 snakeye

I'm also thinking that the Navy would not use the Fuze Extenders because of the G-forces on the bombs when the plane is launched from a catapult. The Air Force would not have that problem. Here are couple of photos of Air Force Phantoms with "Daisy Cutter" fuze extenders.

The Daisy Cutters were also used on the 15,000 Lb. BLU-82 which was dropped by Skycrane helicopters and C-130 Aircraft, and the MOAB bomb used two of the fuze extenders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Note the 2 pictures of the F-4s the bombs have conical fins attached not snake eyes. But with these pictures it would seem that the aircraftspeeed does not have much to do with the fuze extenders use. I would think that by using conical fins the planning would be for the aircraft to drop the ordnance and be out of the frag zone by the time the ordnance detonated. In otherwords not close air support, while snake eyes would allow the aircraft to get closer to the target (more accurate targeting) for release of the ordnance and by retarding the ordnance fall to earth allow the aircraft to remove itself from the frag zone upon ordnance detonation.

Apart from the a/c speed vs frag zone discussion and navy vs airforce discussion,... isn't the ballute a much later development than the snakeye set ??

regards
    Flogging will continue untill morale improves

I do not recall the AIR's from Vietnam. Guess they were later.
    Ich suche Wissen!

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST!

Und wer toleriert uns?

Studiert den Hooton-Plan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UkmhtoXCPA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aw9aRyjLcI

Yes from everything I have read, learned and observed "balutes" rertarding devices were developed after "Snake-eyes". IIRC I first started (eyes on not pictures or drawings) seeing balutes on the bombing ranges in the early-mid 1980s, they may have been used earlier,but this is knowledge of when I started to observe them.

I agree with "x" in that I do not remember see balutes in pictures or documents from the VN time period. Your mileage may vary.

Hallo,
    I came across some info in an Air Force F-4 manual from 1980.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

The page indicates that only MK82 500 and MK 83 1000 lb low drag General purpose (LDGP) bombs were to be used with the fuze extender on that airframe. Each airframe has its own service approved fuse and ordnance combinations. It seems that my thought of speed (hi speed/low speed) and "G" forces effect on the ordnance with fuxe extenders was incorrect.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I wish some air frame drivers would chime in, to help us grounded folks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabob View Post
    Hallo,
    I came across some info in an Air Force F-4 manual from 1980.

Bob
    Last edited by REDHAT6; 22.08.2012 at 19:24.

Just found a movie showing the usage of a daisy cutter in combination with a snakeye fin set. Look at 44:15, 44:20, 44:46 and 44:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tLZZ4V0c00

Regards, DJH
    Last edited by PzGr40; 26.07.2015 at 13:33.
    You wanna make a piece of ammo look interesting? .......cut it!

Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2