Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bellifortis View Post
    That was the speciality of the electric fuze. It was set at the moment of launching (same like el.Z.(9)), so the latest target info could be included. The remote setting device already existed since a few years then (ZZG 1/24). This was a setting device especially for a 9-type timefuze. But the pilot had to to turn the dial of the ZZG to the right delay time. As the timing range of the Z9R el. was much more narrow (1,8-8 sec) than the El.Zt.Z.(9) it would have been also more precise.
    You are right, I forgot of the ZtZ (9) bomb fuze. On the other hand, it is mentioned (I cannot remember, if in German documents or Allied postwar reports), the fuze of the R 100 BS could not be set remotely in early variant of the launching system.

Füllkorper 44 (FK 44) , FAZ 52 - Was there any other incendiary body besides these two designs? ...
    I depends, what we understand under 'incendiary bodies'. These two were intended for Flak shells and rockets too (210 FK 44 were to be carried by an unspecified 21 cm rocket) of traditional shrapnel construction, although - as I understand - typical BS warheads used simple pellets in form of a steel cup filled with thermite (55-56 g total weight, including 5 g thermite), igniting at the moment of expelling. On the other hand, a recent Russian book by Mr. Shirokorad mentions for the R 100 BS also a load of 320 steel pellets with incendiary liquid filling. According to the book, Soviets used such pellets in their OARS-210 rocket derived from the R 100 BS, but they were found ineffective (partially due to pellets colliding and splashing the filling). He also describes the expelling charge of the R 100 BS as 10 kg of RDX, reduced to 5.3 kg in the OARS-210.
    And does anyone know what FAZ means?
    If I had to guess, I'd say Fuellkoerper mit Aufschlagzuender.

We leave guesswork and assumptions aside...

Yep, sure, but we have another clue - the FK44 was designated as FHyZ in an original German drawing, what clearly referred to a hydraulic fuze. So we apparently have FAZ with an impact fuze and FHyZ with a hydraulic (hydrodynamic) fuze.

FAZ..
    They write in the original fuse A.Z.52 for FAZ 52. I'm looking at one drawing. It is a purely membrane type without delay.
    VTL_ FAZ 52.jpg

VTL A.Z. 52 later ...
    Last edited by AKON; 12.01.2021 at 07:03. Reason: umg.

As far as another types of BS pellets are concerned, warhead for the Rheintochter R III missile used cylindrical pellets 18 or 20 mm in diameter, 27 mm long, filled with "Brandsatz 2809n" (whatever it is) or (the 18 mm ones only) with thermite. The HE charge was a 50/50 mixture of Tri/Am (i.e. what?!) - but, as I understand, the warhead was built similarly to the Brandsprenggranat - with a HE charge in the middle surrounded by the pellets.

Joerg is offline Erfahrener Benutzer User

Joerg is offline Erfahrener Benutzer User

This warhead is a very interesting example of a BS, but I don't think it comes from the R 100 BS - looks like a spin stabilized rocket for me. I initially thought, it could be from the 21 cm Wgr. 42 BS and I drew such a reconstruction some years ago - it can be seen in the post #11 (described as the W.Gr 21 BS ). But the warhead does not seem to match the 21 cm Wgr. 42 BS data given by Bellifortis in #12, so it most probably is a different warhead. Maybe it should be combined with the Flakrakete 42 engine - two types of 21 cm Br Sprgr rockets, both spin and fin stabilized, were combat tested against ground and aerial targets in February-March 1945 with very promising results, so maybe it's one of them? There was also some "Bienenkorb"-Gefechtskopf for 21 cm rockets in development in 1944, initially intended for fin stabilized projectiles, but as none were available by October 1944, it was decided to adapt the warhead for a spin stabilized rocket - but the warhead had to be redesigned in this case, due do centrifugal forces.
    #11: https://www.wk2ammo.com/attachment.p...2&d=1610093590
    #12: https://www.wk2ammo.com/attachment.p...3&d=1610107025
    Last edited by Grzesio; 15.01.2021 at 11:06.

Default Re.

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    This warhead is filled with FAZ 52, that's for sure. I don't know if it's "Üb" ; "Bl." or another ...
    Akon

Default 21 cm Warhaed BS

Quote Originally Posted by AKON View Post
    This warhead is filled with FAZ 52, that's for sure. I don't know if it's "Üb" ; "Bl." or another ...
    Akon
    https://www.muna-rheinland.de/p/21cm...pnell-geschoss

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast